Thursday, January 9, 2014

All In

Sometimes you have to just let it go and go all in.



In doing the 21 Day Sugar Detox, I am trying some new combinations of food since I can't use sugar. For breakfast the other day I wanted to have plain greek yogurt.  Normally I add honey, but can't on the 21 DSD.  I was thinking that maybe a combination of almond butter, cinnamon and flax seed might work.  The problem is that I would know if it was good until I put ALL the ingredients in.  So at the risk of ruining my whole breakfast I went all in.  And it was mediocre at best.

Many people have heard that sometimes, the greater the risk, the greater the reward.  This is true, but you also expose yourself to that risk.  It is like when you make something in the crockpot.  In the morning, you put all these ingredients into a bowl and hope when you walk in the door it tastes good and not horrible.

We are called to go all in through our faith walk as well.  Although when seeking God, you can pray, meditate, consult other believers, read the word but ultimately when feeling called to do something, you still have to take that leap of faith.  I liken it to that of a trust fall.  If you haven't participated in a trust fall, it goes as follows: someone stands up on a 4 foot platform and a group stand below with their arms out ready to catch them.  Although you are not THAT high and you absolutely know and trust that the people below you will catch you, it still requires stepping out the edge and falling in trust.

All this got me to thinking about the areas I need to go all in with regards to my faith.  2 Corinthians says "he who sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and he who sows bountifully will also reap bountifully.  Each one must do just as he has purposed in his heart, not grudgingly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver."  You get what you give.  I believe that is why mission trips are so impactful....you go thinking you are doing good for other people but you return feeling like you got more out of it than you gave.  If you want to meet with God and you are making efforts to read or pray, has He ever left you without a response.  If you go into worship ready to spend time in the spirit, have you ever left feeling like He didn't show?  No, not ever!  Because God is sitting waiting for us to seek Him out.  Pastor Gregg has said numerous times, our proximity to God NEVER changes, but our intimacy with God can change because of US.  Not because of God, he is always right there, but we are faulty and flaky.

So, I pose this question.....are you all in yet with regards to your faith?  Do you need to be?  How will you get there?

No comments:

"I will give thanks to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Wonderful are your works, and my soul knows it very well."



~Psalm 139:14