Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Scripture Memory

Last year, my mentor that I was meeting with challenged me to work on memorizing scripture.

I have been working on scripture memory since high school, but I always lose the notecards or forget the verse and it was never very organized. My mentor's method is VERY easy and works really well. Just go out and buy an index spiral of 50 index cards. (you know those index card sets that come on a spiral -- I got mine at Target this year and Office Depot last year) On the front write 2011 and add your memory verse once a week. If you have a large passage you want to memorize, split it between weeks. Your weekly memory verse should be 1-2 verses, something that is managable. Your verse can be anything really....if a certain verse touches you, pick that one, if you are at a loss, just pull a random one. If verses come to mind, but you are not ready for your next "pick" yet, just start jotting them down on the back cover of the spiral.

Then memorize away. They are easy to transport. At home, I stand mine up in the kitchen when I am cooking, or leaning on the mirror when I am getting ready and at work it is leaning on my computer. I write the address on the front and the verse on the back so that I can't cheat. :)
Here is mine for this year....

There is also a website which I have mentioned before called Scripture Typer. Here you can save your memory verses and type them out - so if you are a visual learner, this is a great way to practice too.

I picked my first verse for 2011 and I tried to pick one that I hope to be my theme verse/challenge for the year. I picked this one:


"Finally, brothers & sisters,
whatever is true, whatever is noble,
whatever is right, whatiever is pure,
whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable
- if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things.
Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me,
or seen in me - put it into practice.
And the God of Peace will be with you."
~Philippians 4:8-9


I want this to be my theme verse because God has been teaching me a lot about evaluating the items in my life that are beneficial and those that are idle and unnecessary. I feel that if I can try and focus on only the things listed above it will give me a litmus test to make sure I am on track.


Anyone want to take the challenge with me? We could get together a couple times this year to test each other on our scripture memory. I am going into this year praying and expecting God to grow me and change me and I know that He will come through in ways I could never imagine.

No comments:

"I will give thanks to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Wonderful are your works, and my soul knows it very well."



~Psalm 139:14