Tuesday, April 22, 2014

It's the journey.

“It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end.” 
― Ernest Hemingway


I am NOT one of those people that can eat whatever I want without showing any consequences.  I have always dealt with weight issues and as I look back in pictures, I can see my weight going up and down.  Once I quit working at PwC and was able to have a normal schedule where I could commit to working out and actually be able to get to the gym, I was able to build a pretty active lifestyle and maintained pretty well.  When we miscarried, it through everything out of whack and I have the tendency to "earn" bad food habits if work is stressful or life is wearing me down, so I justify poor food and exercise choices due to everything else I have being thrown at me.  Really...it is just excuses.

Well, if you can relate, you know you have a long term "this is my ideal weight/size" goal, but progress towards that goal takes TIME and LOTS of effort.  Well, to compound my challenge, every month since we have started trying to conceive, the last two months I worry if I am overdoing it.  "What if I am pregnant and this workout is too strenuous?" etc etc  These thoughts only escalate having miscarried and knowing that not all babies "stick."  If you have been there,  you can relate.  Please know that I know nothing I am doing is really that strenuous.  I am not a professional weight lifter and I am not under eating causing my body to lack nourishment.  I know that my miscarriage had nothing to do with something I did, but if you have been there you know those thoughts go through  your mind.

Anyways, I finally got to the point where I was going month in and month out excusing my way out of being healthy through food and exercise.  Stress at work, busy lifestyle, baby woes...you name it, I have used it as an excuse.  Well enough is enough....it really boils down to one decision at a time.  Will you make a good one or a bad one.  Although the long term goal is there, I feel I need to focus on my short term daily goals.

My sister in law is the BEST role model you can find when it comes to being healthy.  She has never done anything drastic to lose weight, or counted calories...probably rarely weighs herself, but over the last three years she has shrunk down to being in amazing shape.  Seriously she looks great.  She still eats well, she still gets to drink wine, but she makes more good choices than bad ones.  She is my role model.

Anyways, I need some kind of accountability, so I am using My Fitness Pal to track my calories, because I am not at a point of maintaining my weight, I do need to lose weight.  Plus the accountability of My Fitness Pal helps me to make better choices.

Here are my daily/weekly short term goals to build a healthier lifestyle:

  • Wear my Fitbit and get at least 5000 steps on days I don't work out and 10000 on days that I do work out.
  • Track calories and exercise on My Fitness Pal for accountability
  • Exercise at least 30 minutes at least 3 times per week. (hope to increase this eventually)
  • No SODA other than a rare occasion
  • Wine only on the weekends (if at all)

Anyone else working on a healthier lifestyle? I would love to hear what your goals are...maybe we can challenge each other.  I hope to post once a week at first about my progress, more so for my own accountability.  I will be honest about my failures and successes.  Unless I actually get pregnant, I will not allow myself to use that excuse any more.  :)




No comments:

"I will give thanks to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Wonderful are your works, and my soul knows it very well."



~Psalm 139:14