Thursday, November 7, 2013

30 Days of Thanks: Day 7 - Thankful for my Daddy-o



I think one of the best parts of being an adult, is slowly learning to appreciate my parents and how my upbringing continues to impact me now.  I am very blessed to be a part of a very special family, one where my parents are happily married and show nothing but respect to each other to this day. One where we ate dinner together every night and spent time together as a family.  One where they taught us about Jesus and the important things in life. In America today, this family type is becoming less and less common.  
I am so grateful to have been raised by an involved, spiritual, strong Dad.  Alex is too.  Thanks to Dad, I have confidence in my abilities, I do not doubt my worth, I am not afraid to try and succeed or try and fail.  I know what it means to be loved and cherished my a man and Dad allowed me to have high expectations of my husband.  My dad will still say "oh my perfect daugher" and of course he knows that *shocking* I am NOT perfect, not even close, but I know I matter to him and that he values me.  I know to expect respect in life and to offer respect and forgiveness because of Dad.  I know I have a cheerleader in every endeavor I take on.  I also know that my Dad wants nothing but happiness and joy for my life.  I will never forget his voice when I told him I miscarried....the sorrow and pain in his voice. Not because he lost his first grandbaby, but because he heard the hurt in my voice and new there was nothing he could do.  As weird as it sounds, I am grateful that he cares that much for me.  

He is an amazing role model - he shows what it looks like to provide for your family; to not allow societal norms dictate how you live; to make family a priority; to respect and love your wife openly.  Alex looks up to him and so do I.  I am grateful that in addition to our future kids having Alex as a role model, they will also have my Dad.  They will  have a cheerleader for all their endeavors and someone that cares for them greatly too.  
Dad really is the cornerstone of our family and although I LOVE (and feel it is my duty) to give him a hard time, I also brag about him regularly.  He sets the standards and expectations for a lot of things for me. 
Dad, thank you for your guidance and leadership in our family.  You have impacted us in so many ways that I don't think you even realize.  God uses you to teach us regularly.  You are a man after God and a great role model.  Thanks will never be enough.  
Love your little Daddy's girl.  :)



No comments:

"I will give thanks to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Wonderful are your works, and my soul knows it very well."



~Psalm 139:14