Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Observations on a Sunday.....

I am doing the Siesta Scripture Memory Team through Beth Moore's blog for 2013 and it has you memorize a new scripture every two weeks.  Here are mine so far this year. (I am not cheating, I promise - I will strike through my mistakes)

January 1
"The Lord will fight for you, you need only be still." Exodus 14:14
January 15
"Rejoice always; pray without ceasing; in all ways acknowledge Him give thanks for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus" 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
February 1 - don't have this one down yet....
"I will give thanks to the Lord for he is just; I will sing praise to the name of the Lord Most High." Psalm 7:17

I picked the third one because I have never really studied what it means to be just and how to be more just myself in my day to day, so I figured it would be a good challenge.  This was our lesson topic for youth group on Sunday, so I was trying to talk through this with my 9th graders.  It was actually very interesting to hear about what they thought it meant to be just in their day to day lives. 

We discussed looking at others equally, without bias.  My girls asked tough questions about injustices in the world, like how women are mistreated in middle eastern countries and how to have confidence under persecution in countries like china where they dictate what religion you have.  Another girl asked about those people that are completely unreached and whether or not they will have an opportunity to meet Christ.  God really used Sunday to remind me of how innocent questions can cover BIG issues.  The girls asked me about how to share their faith at school -- like logistics...how does it work?  I have to see these kids every day, what if they think I am weird? Or a hypocrite?  I can't be perfect, so I don't want to call out anything to them? 

"And calling to him a child, he put him in the midst of them and said, “Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. “Whoever receives one such child in my name receives me, but whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a great millstone fastened around his neck and to be drowned in the depth of the sea." Matthew 18:2-6


God calls us to have the faith of a child -- and God allowed me to see that a bit on Sunday through my small group.  During big church on Sunday, my small group and I volunteered with the 4 year old church.  Here is a conversation I had with a 4 year old named Emma.  Let me paint a picture for you, I was sitting on the floor with about 50 kids around me.  Two of my 9th graders were to my right, a vietnamese girl named Lydia and a chinese girl name Mary Abigail. 

Emma: Are those your sisters? [pointing at Lydia and Mary Abigail]
Tonya: Well, they are my sisters in Christ
Emma: Oh ok....[goes back to story time for a couple minutes]
Emma: Is your Mom here?
Tonya: No, my Mom is in Austin.
Emma: So what...you just drove yourself here?!?!  [goes back to story time]
Emma: Do you have bunk beds?
Tonya: Nope, no bunk beds.
Emma: Why not?!?!
Emma: Do your sisters have bunk beds?
Tonya: Well, I don't know if they do.
Emma: [pauses, looking concerned] You mean you haven't been in their rooms?!?!

Innocence and being just all in one.  To Emma, it did not EVEN occur to her that it was an odd question to ask if a swedish girl, a vietnamese girl and a chinese girl were sisters.  What was shocking to her was #1 my Mom didn't bring me to church and #2 that I didn't have bunks NOR did I know what kind of bed my "sisters" had.  I just love the picture of that God.  God doesn't see color, he doesn't see family lineage, education, he just sees us and wants US.  He desires to love us....and could care less about our "make  up".  God I pray I can look at others justly....and not see their past, or color or credentials but just see them the way you do, as a child that you desire to love unconditionally.





No comments:

"I will give thanks to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Wonderful are your works, and my soul knows it very well."



~Psalm 139:14