Thursday, April 15, 2010

Aaahhhh.....predicitability

Do you ever wake up some mornings looking forward to work because to halfway know what to expect?? I did this morning....just grateful that I somewhat knew what my WORK day would look like, because if this evening follows the way the earlier part of this has gone...there is NO telling what will happen when I get home tonight.

Here is the play-by-play of my Wednesday Night:
4:45 - get home from work, ready with my FULL list of Wednesday night to dos including walk and feed Spence, make dinner, work on wrapping up Ashworth taxes, laundry and maybe even fit a run in there before heading over to Lindseys to discuss their return at 8:30. (I know - optomistic right)
5:00 - finish walking Spence - head down to the office to get to work and hear cat fighting in our back yard (we have a handful of stray cats because of all the empty fields around us)
5:02 - look out the window and see a mama cat on the deck and then a baby kitten (who in my head am now calling Precious) that had somehow gotten its head stuck between our deck and our fence.
5:04 - not knowing what to do, I walk over Sams for moral support to figure out what the heck we should do

*Side Note - I am a HUGE animal lover - emphasis on huge...I almost cried once because I thought I hit an armadillo and Bri and I growing up would lie to each other that the road kill we saw was only a rug. So I am semi freaking out at the thought of this kitten dying in our back yard.

5:05 - Sam and I assess the situation and determine we need to examine from the other side of the fence, so we go knocking on our backyard neighbor's door whom we have never met only to find that they are not home, but the homeowner's cousin's boyfriend who is staying there for the week is home (Joe was a LIFESAVER by the way).
5:10 - we start digging to see if that will give Precious wiggle room - all the while watching mama cat stare at us with death eyes from on top of the fence. The digging doesnt really help because the head is really stuck.

For the next 45 minutes we try every from prying the back side of teh fence, using a hammer to force a little more wiggle room, pushing with all our might and nothing works. At this point it has become a Happy Feet Street affair and we now have me, Sam, Joe, our neighbor Ivan, neighbor Jodi and eventually neighbors Kenley and Melissa all working on saving Precious.

Finally we decide we need to remove the last board of our wood deck without putting too much pressure on Precious's neck. Also, while doing this work, we realize there are 3 more kittens under our deck.

6:00 - Ivan and Joe are able to help Precious and we determine we should take them to the SPCA so that they don't die or get stuck again. We also chased down the other 3 kittens too. They kept running from our backyard to Ivan's backyard to Kenley and Melissa's backyard. But Joe was able to catch them all.

6:30 - Sam and I take them to the SPCA. I couldn't help but ensuring that the SPCA was not going to kill these kittens - they replied that there was a 50/50 chance because they are too small to adopt, and there are on short supply of foster families. Sam thinks they were just saying that so that they don't have to deal with the kittens and were trying to guilt me into taking them and even if she is right, I couldn't handle going through all this effort to save Precious and the others only for them to get put down. Just could not stomach it...

6:50 - Sam and I leave WITH THE KITTENS and I go home and try to figure out what to do with 4 kittens for 3 weeks.

Turns out my neighbor Linda has been feeding the mama and since the kittens are too small to eat food, we decided to put them in a crate in Linda's backyard so that the mama can still feed them, and we are trying to find a vet that might take them for 3 weeks until they are old enough to get adopted...so if you know of any vets that would do this...please comment!!!

Anyways...as you can imagine, none of my to do list got done other then meeting with Lindsey and Adam....but all is well. God has been reminding and teaching me a lot about how he restores us and how He renews each day with new mercies and grace and I am appreciating that in a new way today. If you made it through my play by play thanks!!! Many of you may think this is silly to get so worked up over kittens, but I know Bri will understand. :)

Here are some pics of the babies. Precious is one of the two under the black cat. If you want kittens, let me know. :)





2 comments:

Knecht Four said...

You should have waited to write this post after I emailed you my "action shots!"

Alex & Tonya said...

I can add them to the blog once you email them to me. :)

"I will give thanks to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Wonderful are your works, and my soul knows it very well."



~Psalm 139:14